Thursday, September 12, 2013

Balancing Life :: Working, Grad School, & Marathon Training

WHEW! This past week has been craaaazy. It's been a week of trial and error as I begin to figure out how to balance my life.

Work has been a little off balance because we are short staff members, so I've been working every day instead of my regularly scheduled days (Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday) to make sure everything ran smoothly. We have tons of little ones this year! The kindergarteners are still getting used to our routine so it's helpful to have enough staff members to make sure we don't lose anyone.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love my job! Even when I have a stressful day in other aspects, I know I can go to work and have 3 hours of fun :)

Grad School is officially in full swing. I was really happy with my summer session classes and therefore have high hopes for fall semester! I'm taking 3 classes: Instructional Strategies for Inquiry-Based Classrooms, Inquiry into the Human Growth, Development and Diversity, and Classroom and Behavioral Management. I'm also doing 2 of my 4 practicum experiences in 4th grade! I've gone into the classroom now four times and I LOVE IT! The kids are so sweet and fun, and I have a pretty awesome mentor teacher! It's going to be a great semester learning all about Virginia history :)
I definitely have a LOT of work to do.  No doubt about that.  I will really need to buckle down and use my time wisely -- and stop being tempted by hours of watching HGTV and TLC.

Marathon Training is also in full swing. This weekend I have the Hokie Half Marathon here in Blacksburg. It's on Sunday and I can't wait!! It works perfectly with my training schedule so nothing will be thrown off.  I will treat it as my training run -- just a bit glorified, with a medal and t-shirt.
My mileage is definitely starting to rack up, which is scary and exciting at the same time.  I've had to once again buckle down and really dedicate a portion of my day to running, whether it be at 6 am or 7 pm.  I hate running in the heat of the day, so typically I'm out really early or late when the sun is going down! My preference is definitely morning - it's so nice not to have to worry about my run after a full day of work/class.
I alsooo signed up for another half-marathon in October before Richmond - the Runner's World Half & Festival. This race is held RIGHT where Steven goes to school, so it works out perfectly with a trip to see him! Plus, again, it works perfectly with my schedule since I'm supposed to run 14 miles that weekend anyway...might as well glorify it a bit and run someplace new ;)


My life is busy! Unfortunately I can't blog as often as I would like, but I'll still be popping in and I appreciate y'all still coming to read!


This weekend I'll be cheering on my Hokies, who are on the road, and resting up for the race!

Have a great Thursday, y'all!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the sweet comments! xo!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS