Friday, July 20, 2012

My Running Favorites! *Half Marathon Plan*

Most of you probably know that I'm a runner. Long distance is my thing. I ran middle school track and high school cross country and track, as well as road races on the side. I loved cross country. Definitely the highlight of high school! Track wasn't as fun since the two mile was the longest race, and everyone hated it. I've kept up my running and still enjoy road races. I've done races all over Virginia...I have highlighted 3 favorites in this post!
Cross Country Girls at VMI Invitational!

Here are some of my favorite running accessories, necessities, races & a half marathon plan for beginners!

SHORTS
Nike Tempo Shorts
$30


Or as they are widely referred to, norts. These are a big fan favorite - easy to wear during the day, lounging, or running! These are my go-to loose shorts.
 
Mizuno Short Tight (Spandex Shorts)
$42
 In XC we had three different uniforms. It was insane. We switched between companies and styles. My favorite shorts we had were these spandex. They aren't super short and they are super comfortable! They have a little zipper pocket above the butt which I guess you could put a key in. I never really use it. LOVE them. I usually wear these for races.

TOPS
Going to be honest, I spend a lot more time/money on shorts, shoes, socks, etc. I always do my runs in t-shirts.
However, I would probably choose something like this for a race:
Nike Miler Tank Top
$32
Breathable, loose, cute!

SHOES
Asics GEL-Kanbarra 6
$55
These are the shoes I currently run in. I always buy Asics because they fit my feet the best out of any brand. As much as I love Nike shoes, they just don't fit as well! I think I'll always stick to Asics.

Another pair I love...
Asics GEL-1700
$90
More expensive, but so cute. Might be my next pair if I can find them somewhere a bit cheaper!

ACCESSORIES & APPS
Running Belt
I have one that is similar to this, but the pouches are slimmer. Mine has loops that you can stick Gu and gels into. I love these for holding my keys, chapstick, bandaids, etc. I wear it over my shorts but underneath my shirt (usually) and it isn't bulky/bouncy at all!

Belkin Armband for iPhone 4S
 I love this armband! I actually have the one technically for an iTouch but it fits my iPhone perfectly! I also have room for cash or a card, in case I run to the farmer's market or something.
I spent way too many years carrying my iPod or sticking it in my shorts. This armband is definitely worth the money (and it isn't even very expensive)!

The Stick
Say goodbye to muscle soreness! I use this on my legs after a run/race and it really does make a difference. I like to call it the marshmallow stick because it looks like a kabob of marshmallows! You just roll it on your thighs, calves and hamstrings to loosen up. Love it!

Endomondo
There is a free version of this available in the app store and I love it. There are a ton of different ones out there, but I'm really happy with this. I use the basic workout option and press Start when I begin my run. Even with music on, the app will let me know when I reach each mile and what my time/lap time is. At the end of my workout, it shows me a map of where I ran & saves my workout!
Love it!!


FAVORITE RACES I'VE RUN
Outer Banks Half-Marathon
This is the only half I've done but BOY did I love it! By far the best run of my life. I recommend this race to anyone who is looking to do their first half or is looking for a flat, scenic course.
This race is run in November! The best part about it is after the race, you can go do this:
Yeah...that's my kind of day!
 
Blacksburg Classic 10 Miler & 5K
 This truly is a classic around here. Next year they will be in their 28th year. I've run this race a handful of times, maybe five or so? One year I was sick though and couldn't run! Even though it's local, it's still a favorite. The 10-miler is worth the extra miles to run down the beautiful Huckleberry Trail. This was the first long race I ever did - and I came in smiling!

Maymont X-Country Festival
I know this festival primarily because of my cross country days. This festival consists of an open 5K, an 8 mile trail run, an elementary school run, a middle school run and finally the high school invitational. In high school we loved this meet because it meant we got to do a weekend trip and go to Kings Dominion!
Anyway, I'm dying to go back to do the open 5K or the trail race. Maymont is SO gorgeous!
I would recommend this to anyone in the Richmond area, for sure :)
 
 
RACES I WANT TO RUN
Colonial Half Marathon
My Dad just loves this race and is always trying to convince me to run it. It's in Williamsburg and the course takes you throughout the campus of William & Mary and the town, I believe. I remember going as a spectator once when my Dad ran it and would actually love to do it myself.

Rock 'n Roll Series: Philadelphia, Virginia Beach or Nashville
Unfortunately it's a bit too late to be thinking about doing the Philly or VA Beach races this year (they are both in September), but Nashville in April is a possibility. The others are definite possibilities for next year. I've heard that the Philly race is really fast, which is great!
I really want the experience of being at one of these events - music along the course and, I'm sure, music at the after party.

Richmond Half Marathon (American Family Fitness)
This is a possibility for 2012! The race is run in November and I believe my Dad is considering it. Either way, he would be there to cheer me on at least. I've heard that the course is doable and not too hilly.
I know I live in a hilly town, so I should be used to running them, but there is just something about starting a race and knowing you aren't in for a beating...it's much more motivating.
 
Disney Princess Half Marathon
 Running through Disney World with a tutu on...
...need I say more?
Who WOULDN'T want to run this!?
But really, all of Run Disney's races look like SO much fun! They're gearing up for their 20th Marathon and I bet it's going to be amazing.
I'm still definitely considering this one in February :)
 
 
*I would LOVE any advice/reviews/opinions about the races I just listed. If you've been to any of them, please let me know what you think!
 

Lastly, I want to share with you a Half Marathon plan for Beginners, courtesy of Runner's World!
This is the plan I followed (give or take) to train for my first half. I found it really helpful to have all of my training planned out so I wasn't just running without knowing if I was building my mileage correctly.
I tweaked a few days here and there. If I was feeling good, I might add on another half mile or mile to a day. There were also a few Rest/XT days that I ran. Sometimes I would prefer my long run on Saturday instead of Sunday.
Totally up to you!
Just thought I would share!

Week One
Monday: Rest/XT
Tuesday: 2 mi
Wednesday: Rest/XT
Thursday: 3 mi
Friday: Rest/XT
Saturday: Rest/XT
Sunday: 4 mi LSD
 
Week Two
Monday: Rest/XT
Tuesday: 2 mi
Wednesday: Rest/XT
Thursday: 3 mi
Friday: Rest/XT
Saturday: Rest/XT
Sunday: 5 mi LSD 
 
Week Three
Monday: Rest/XT
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 4 mi 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 5 mi LSD
 
Week Four
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 5 mi 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT
Sunday: 6 mi LSD
 
Week Five
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 3 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 6 mi hills 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 7 mi LSD
 
Week Six
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 6 mi with 4 mi @ HMP 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 6 mi LSD
 
Week Seven
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 4 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 6 mi hills 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 6 mi LSD
 
Week Eight
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 7 mi with 4 mi @ HMP 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 8 mi LSD
 
Week Nine
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 7 mi hills 
Friday: 2 mi 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 10 mi LSD
 
Week Ten
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 3 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 7 mi with 5 mi @ HMP 
Friday: 2 mi 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 10 mi LSD
 
Week Eleven
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 7 mi with 4 mi @ HMP 
Friday: 2 mi 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: 9 mi LSD
 
Week Twelve
Monday: Rest/XT 
Tuesday: 2 mi 
Wednesday: Rest/XT 
Thursday: 5 mi with 3 mi @ HMP 
Friday: Rest/XT 
Saturday: Rest/XT 
Sunday: Race Day! 
 
 
LSD: Long, slow distance run to build endurance.
Hills: Run on the hilliest course you can find.
HMP: Half Marathon pace. Whatever pace you hope to maintain during the race.
Rest/XT: Rest day, or cross train doing something like yoga or swimming. 
 
 If you have any questions or something doesn't make sense, please email me!
Hope this helps some of you!
 
And just remember...
  
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. I have read this post like 3 times, I am loving all of the running!! And how did I not know about the Blacksburg classic - I am DEFINITELY coming back to run it next year!! And the Huckleberry Trail is my fav (although I did get creeped out one time running it by myself haha). Love thiss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm planning on running my first half this year - I need to remember that plan to train with!! Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS for posting this! I've been on the lookout for a good armband, and I will definitely be checking this one out for my iPhone! Once I'm done with the Couch to 10K program, I'll definitely also be checking out that app that you suggested. I've wanted something like that, but haven't wanted to stray from the program I'm doing since it tells me when to run/walk/jog/etc!

    Also, I have a friend who ran the Disney Princess Half and LOVED it! That is definitely on my list of races to run eventually, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh running! I miss it SO much. I have a knee injury and have been told to take 6 months off... I'm sure you can understand how annoying that is. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah! I'm a new follower- just wanted to wish you luck! You go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah!:) I was just going through my sponsors page and I noticed that my button needs to be updated on your blog! I changed the name of mine, so I have a new button. You can find it on my page:)

    Shelby xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just stumbled across your blog and I'm so glad I did! I'm running my first half marathon in September, yay for your helpful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad I found your blog! im also a college blogger! I love my norts and that stick looks amazing- I need one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl! New follower. Found you because I'm wanting to start training for a half and Leslie from Life in It's Ordinary form sent me this post. :) Just thought I'd say hey!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the sweet comments! xo!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS