Tuesday, January 28, 2014

How to Not Spend Money

The contentment challenge has been just that -- a challenge.  But as I sit and delete every amazingly tempting LOFT sale email I receive, I am learning a lot about myself.  I never thought I could go this long (almost one month) without going on a total splurge trip to Target or TJMaxx.  Can't even tell you the last time I was in Michael's. Although, I will say, it helps that I live in a town with limited shopping ;)

I have learned that I can be even more creative than I think I am when I stay in my house and look around.  I can entertain myself with things that I already have - some of which need entertaining, ahem my bookshelves.
I've rearranged my room and closet set up several times and just recently rearranged my desk.  I have found some fun ways to spend my time (when I'm not doing homework/working) that don't include buying something.

enroll in grad school // okay, this one is kind of a joke. But really, being in grad school brings everything into perspective.  I have TWO MORE CLASSES to complete, and student teaching, after these four I am taking this semester.  Then it's time for the real world, which by the way means real world stuff like apartments and cars and computers and phones and all of that junk.  My mom and I were discussing the purchases I will be looking forward to once I land a teaching job.  Let's just say the purchases aren't cheap, but they are somewhat necessary, so starting a savings plan now is probably a stellar idea.

washi tape // I have found some neat things to use my washi tape collection for.  For example, I covered a clear desktop organizer that I have so you can't see what's inside! Not that I'm trying to hide anything, but it looks pretty.

netflix // I have rekindled my love of Netflix.  Did y'all know how many episodes of Say Yes to the Dress are on there? Plenty.  Also my other secret obsession show: Undercover Boss. Four seasons.  That's what I'm talking about.  Almost nothing beats curling up under a blanket to watch Netflix on my iPad.

getting fancy // I'm somewhat of an overachiever when it comes to my assignments.  The units/portfolios/lessons that I am asked to create are many and I just love finding and sometimes making cute covers for them!  There is so much freeeee and CUTE stuff on my favorite teaching blogs! And since I'm a perfectionist, this task can take days.

calligraphy // I shared that I have started calligraphy and it has definitely helped me pass the time.  Here is a recent one I posted on Instagram :)  follow me @sarah_ryan3 !
 

Now, all of this doesn't mean I'm never purchasing anything ever again, but until I get a little more grounded in my finances, I am playing it smart.
 
One last free note, head over to Elle & Company to download a beautiful verse for your iPhone background :)


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I went to target for the first time in three weeks on Saturday. Omg that was a stretch for me! I admire you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the sweet comments! xo!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS