Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Apartment, the 401 Palace

Before it's too late, aka I move out of this ghetto joint, I thought I'd show you my room!

I feel like I should have a disclaimer, but at the same time, I'm not ashamed.  I have too much furniture and not a big enough space.  Sometimes my room feels cramped, but it was my decision to bring everything in! I also get stressed that not everything matches, but it was my decision to buy everything so I just have to deal with it.
 
I live on Green Street - some fellow/former Hokies may be familiar with it - and it's a pretty old building, but the rent is cheap - I can walk to class - I'm a hop, skip and a jump away from Lane Stadium - and I can walk downtown in about ten minutes.
It's mostly a win situation!
 
Walking into my room:

My bed is a double, but I love it and it's comfy, so it's staying.
The large bulge under my cuddly brown blanket is just a body pillow - not a real body. Don't freak out.


My bedding is from Target. The Lilly monogram pillow is from My Pink and Green Garden and the shift pillow is from the ESS sale last August! One of my favorite prints. Couldn't say no - especially to $14.

I have no shame in saying I sleep with a "stuffed animal", in this case, Stitch. Steven bought him for me from Disney World. I take him everywhere I go to sleep.
He is the perfect plush to cuddle up with.
 I actually have so many other stuffed animals, but they were taking up so much room! I had to send the others home :(

Desk:

I found my desk at Office Depot. It doesn't really "match" but I loved the set up. The simplicity and the hutch was exactly what I wanted.
The chair is a family chair. Not a comfy chair, but that's good because it keeps me awake!
My printer is underneath my desk -- sort of awkward, but there is no room on the desk!


The four cups on the wall are from IKEA. I love them! They hold pencils, pens, highlighters, Sharpies, etc. It was only $4 I think.
I try and keep my desk clean, but that gets tough!
I have sooooo many notepads and such - they're mostly kept in the top desk drawer. I just can't help picking up cute ones!


The green bins (minis of my favorite organization piece) hold random cords, CDs, flash drives, koozies, etc. Very random. The basket on top has other random items in it -- keeps my desk clutter-free!
The Lilly "S" is from My Pink and Green Garden on Etsy :)

On The Wall:

This memo board is next to my desk. It holds random things of importance to me, including a Save The Date & a postcard Steven sent me sophomore year of high school from Hawaii.
{also some fun stuff like Lilly tags & a Paula Deen comic}

 Bedside:

 This is my bedside bookshelf, as opposed to a table. I looked for a long time for the perfect bedside table but realized I need more storage space for books & happened to find this awesome bookshelf at -- you'll never guess where...Walmart!
It's great quality actually and is part of a Better Homes and Gardens line (only remember that because you get a free subscription if you buy it) and has lasted me moving apartments.
I keep novels, my Bible, lotion and tissues on the top,
My ticket stub jar, Steven's picture, 2 baseballs and a full box of mementos on the middle,
 and textbooks and my second box of mementos on the bottom.


I made this to put on top. It's one of my favorite Audrey Hepburn quotes!
Just used some scrapbook paper to jazz it up and then framed it.

The Other Side:

Steven took my closet door off for me when I moved in so I would have room for my dresser.
Again, kind of big - but I love it! Found it at a tent sale at Grand.
I put one of the Closetmaid 6 Cube Organizers from Target on the floor of my closet laying horizontally.
**I LOVE THOSE ORGANIZERS!**
On the top shelf of my closet I have some shoe boxes from IKEA, a Lilly storage bin full of scarves and sweatshirts.
I'm not so keen on having my "messy" closet always being seen but I'm basically the only one who has to look at it so it's not that bad!

TV Area:

My TV sits on another Closetmaid Organizer from Target. I seriously love them! I wish I had a 9 cube one. I have pink and brown fabric drawers for both of the organizers (brown is in the other one) and I love them for stashing random things away!
The Lilly prints above my TV are painted by my awesome brother. I wrote the quotes on the other canvas, "Let your faith be bigger than your fear," and "Enjoy the little things."


The fabric bins hold:
1. Stationary
2. Recycled plastic bags to use for my trash can
3. Random items!
I also have my movie collection and a Lilly box of random items & a small basket holding nail care items.

Dresser:

On top of my dresser is my nail polish stand (made by my other awesome brother!), my jewelry box from Target, a Vera Bradley heart jewelry box and a basket of ball caps I wear on comfy/lazy hair days.
The Lilly art above is a DIY that I think I have shared before...? Just cutouts from agenda pages!

Not seen:
I have a file box to hold worksheets and such I get from kindergarten, paychecks, bank statements and other important papers, as well as a storage box from the ITSO brand at Target with a bin in it I keep papers as well.
I have a green ottoman to the left of my desk that I keep my socks in and I stack extra blankets on top.
I also use underneath my bed for storage and, of course, none of my toiletries are in my room!


It's a small space and I've had to learn to be creative -- and learn how to throw things out when they're wasting space!

Well, there's my room! Nothing too special, but you can only get so fancy when you live in a rented space!
Hopefully I'll have a new, refreshed, more coordinated room next year :)
 
Let me know if you have any questions!
Happy Thursday!
post signature

5 comments:

  1. Such a cute room! I love the idea of a beside bookshelf! I love all the Lilly touches. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute set up!! Love the touches of Lilly. And can't go wrong with the storage containers form Target. I have one in our basement that holds all of my cupcake business stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute room, and I agree its hard to fit everything in a college-sized room but it looks great! And Green St. is a great location for a senior, have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your room is adorable! So organized.. love it! I just started following your blog, it is my new favorite!

    shorelifeofm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the sweet comments! xo!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS