Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pick me up love, everyday.

Something I was thinking about today.

Over 4,000 men and women have died in the war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Over 30,000 have been injured.
At any point in time, there are over 500,000 children in the foster care system who don't have a permanent home to go to at night.
There are almost 14 million Americans unemployed today.
On any given night, over 750,000 men, women and children are homeless.

And that's all in just our country on any give one day.

These are just a few of the things I think about when the red light is taking too long to turn green, or when the lady at Panera gets my order wrong accidentally, or when I get frustrated with how my hair looks in the humidity.

Recently, I've been noticing more and more people getting agitated over silly things that, in reality, mean nothing. I wish that more people would put themselves in others' shoes to learn and appreciate what they have.


Sorry this sounds so cliche, but it's something that has been bothering me! So what if the umpire called the play at 1st safe when you thought the runner was clearly out...it's a game. So what if the customer service representative on the other end of the line isn't helping you exactly as you had expected...do you really think that's their dream job? So what if the person in front of you at Kroger has almost fifty items and you'd really just like to buy your milk and be done with it...have some patience.

I know in this day and age it's hard not to get caught up in the fast-paced scheduling that everyone seems to have, but I hope that y'all will take a couple of minutes each day for the next week to stop and thank God and your family for what you have. Stop and take a minute to think about those who don't have the privileges that you have. Finally, stop and turn to the person next to you (even/especially if it's a stranger) and give em a big 'ol smile :) Ya never know what kind of day they could be having...
One of my favorite artists, and favorite songs. Watch it - it's a warm & fuzzy!

I'll be back tomorrow with a regular up-to-date post, but for now that's all :)
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this!
    The other day I was just telling my Mom that it's okay that our plane was delayed and had to sit in the airport for an hour. I mean we missed dinner with her friends that night, but at least we had a safe flight during the thunderstorms. It turns out the airport lost her luggage. She was upset but she was thankful for this man who was the ONLY one working there that night helping at least 20 other people too. A day later, they found her luggage. Now, we are in Richmond visiting and she just gave a homeless man a $5 bill. He lit up with happiness and said "God bless you."
    I really think that it's important to pass that niceness around.
    BTW love the song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren - those are perfect examples! Airports are another place where people get so impatient! It's not like the poor guy working the lost luggage center meant to lose anyone's stuff, it just happens!
    Thank you & your mom for being who you are :) It really makes a difference!
    Enjoy Richmond!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the sweet comments! xo!

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS